Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Birthday in Heaven

Do you think they celebrate birthdays in Heaven? I guess I really don't think so? Not sure why but I think there must be more important things to do then celebrate when you came to earth? Anyway, today is my little brother Brian's birthday and because he went to be with Jesus so long ago I cant call him to wish him a happy birthday. It would have been his 42nd today and I woke up way too early because I think my sub-conscience still thinks I am able to call him and be the first to wish him a happy birthday. That was "our thing", he would call me very early on Christmas eve to be the first to wish me a happy birthday and I in turn would call him a week later on New Years eve to wish him the same. You never know when its going to be your last and unfortunately on his last birthday on earth I overslept (never do) and didn't call him until 10 am at which point he proceeded to give me a lecture on where I went wrong! Wow, its funny the things we miss when someone you love is in Heaven? If I could just have it back? So Brian is in heaven today and I am here. Very strange still, after 12 years but I guess if anyone deserved to be in heaven, it would have been him. He went through a childhood that no child deserves! (yes, it was way worse than mine) Although, I still cant help but to ask why that although he deserved to be in peace with our Lord and Savior why he had to leave the family he had always longed for and had finally found? Why 2 little boys that he was so proud of could be left with out the father they adored? Why a woman is left to raise these boys by herself? Their lives would be so different if he had lived! Why after 12 years the only good thing that has happened in any of our lives as a direct result of his death, is my relationship with Christ? I still don't see how that was a good trade off? I mean I guess it was for me in that sense but how was it good for Brian or his family as they continue to struggle with the fact that he is no longer here, no matter how it looks on the outside? And now I must go as the tears are streaming and I cant find a tissue!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Brian!! I love and miss you, my sweet little brother!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday Uncle Brian!

DeAnna said...

wow I don't even know what to say as the tears are falling here too. I miss him more than anyone can imagine, but our sisterhood (friendship) what ever you want to call it helps me through A LOT !!!
Thanks Nonny for always being there for me no matter what.

I LOVE YOU !!!!!!!!!