Monday, December 8, 2008

What does it mean to be a Mom or a Dad?

I started thinking about that today after "dad" left and "mom" called. I don't really know as I never really had either. I mean sure the "biological" ones are listed on my birth certificate but that is as far as it goes. Just listed, because I am sure that they are not what God had in mind when He gave me to them. So, what is a father or a mother? I don't know!! I will tell you what I believe God had in mind when He created a family and it certainly was not what I got! One should have a Mother to nourish and feed you so that you grow up in the REAL presence of Christ, one you can trust and respect. Who loves you as the gift a child should be. One that when you become an adult you can listen to and respect the advice that is given. Will always tell the truth to you. (even if you don't want to hear it) Somehow knowing that they will never take advantage of you and will always give you honesty and love.
So if that is my idea of a Mom, what is my idea of a Dad?
I imagine a Dad is one who is always there, he can fix anything, (cant every Dad?) loves the Lord and has a great respect for those he cares for and is really cute! (what daughter doesn't want to think their dad is the best looking dad out there?)
Simple qualifications, right? Apparently not as I didn't get either as a child!
Although, it was sad growing up and getting married without the love and advise of parents as everyone should because, that is the way God intended it to be. He did send me two such people that fit the idea I had of parents while growing up and although they were not sent to me until my late 30's, I am so darn grateful that He did give me the Mom and Dad that I longed for as a child! By sending them so late in my life I suppose it helps to teach me patience (something I desperately need) and shows me that our time and God's time are two very different things! So, if you are waiting on something from God? Take a breath as it could be awhile but when it does come, it comes BIG!!
I hope that I have given my children at least what I feel a Mom should be? Who knows I guess that I tried to do the opposite of the "bio" one and hope they never feel the need to blog about me!!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are a great mom...not to say I couldn't blog about you every once in a while...LOL I crack me up! I like your descriptions of moms & dads...