Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Shack

On Vacation, I was reading the book "The Shack", I finished it on the plane on the way home (as I did not have time on vacation) and what an outstanding book! I don't get the mixed reviews it has gotten? Some people really dislike it and there are others who loved it? I am one who LOVED it! I loved the whole premise of it.I can see how some people would be uncomfortable with it as the book does bring God as a Black Woman and some may find that really wrong. I found that to be the really exciting part as the author was showing us that our preconceived notions of God are just that "preconceived". We imagine God to be some form of "white man" and I loved the fact that by bringing Him the way he did, it showed me that what ever we think God to be, He is not and yet He is all things. I loved how Jesus was portrayed. (just as I see Him) The part how people die, even in a horrific way, showed us that Jesus is right there with us. There is not anything about the book that I disliked and although I can see how some may find the book of no significance, it is in fact fiction and I, myself found it to be a very good read! So, if you are looking for a good book? Try "The Shack" it is truly a wonderful "fiction" book and I cant wait to read it again! To quote my very intelligent daughter: The Shack does a good job of lamonizing things in the Bible so that we can comprehend them! Well said, Sissy!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I second it! That book is great (not totally finished but LOVING it!) And thanks for the props!

I saw the book as enlightening and I felt that I could relate or connect a little better after it. Sometimes having things "dumbed down" helps! I recommend reading to all those who haven't - and to those who have and did not like it - read it again with an open mind and open heart. You may find you learn something.

Anonymous said...

I want to read that one! I'm on the waiting list for it at the Burnsville library but I think I'm like #200 in line :( The pastor at Hosanna! church highly recommended it and now several of my friends have recommended it to me too. Maybe I'll have to go out and buy it.

Tammy said...

Anna~ Jen should be done this weekend and she can loan you it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for lending me The Shack! Sunday was too busy to do more than start it but I'm excited about it! I'll try to blow through it so you & Jen can get to re-reading it :)