Tuesday, September 15, 2009

France Avenue Family Physicians

What can I say about France avenue family physicians?? As I have been a patient there for 20+ years I think I have the right to say plenty! First of all shame on you Doctor Ledder for making me believe for all these years that your clinic is the "norm" for all other medical facility's. I have found out the hard way recently that this is in fact not true! OK, so he never specifically stated it was and I just assumed it but still don't you think a good Doctor would let a long time patient know that his clinic is in fact second to no one?I found out the hard way recently when my Pooky bear (20year old son) was taken to the ER in severe ab pain. They did a little blood work, pumped him full of narcotics and sent him on his way. Nice job "Fairview"! (I will be sure to let any drug addicts I know where to get the goods) The next day was Friday and our dear Dr. Ledder's standard day off. That used to bother me a great deal until over the last few years he has surrounded himself with an unbelievable staff of back ups. The PA's there at france ave (Suzi and Ellie) are truly second to none and I dread the day some big time medical facility snatches one or both up! (maybe I am actually doing myself a disservice and someone sees this and does just that?? Nah, who really reads my little old blog??) Anyway, I am off track again.... Took Pooky to see Suzi the next morning and she ordered a scan (what the hospital should have done) and found my sweet boy was suffering from colitis. Later that night dear Dr. Nelson then ordered us back to the hospital. Can u believe the hospital was not even going to admit him still? He had to actually call them! At this point I had no faith in the "other" medical people and could not wait till Monday when I could talk to a "real" Doctor! (meaning of course my dear Dr. Ledder) I did not know until then that our clinic no longer did rounds at the hospital and I would have to suffer with those yahoo's that really did not know what was going on or how to treat it. The only thing that kept me sane was the continuous calls to me by Dear Dr. Ledder. The acute case of colitus had finally run its course and after 5 days in Pooky was sent home. Where even he did not trust anything from the hospital and did not feel everything would be ok until we heard it face to face from Doctor Ledder! The relief we both felt just knowing Doctor Ledder had all the paperwork from the hospital and he actually had taken it home for night time reading knowing we would be in the next day! Who does that anymore?? Certainly not the 2 minute doctors that run through Fairview Hospital. Over the years poor Doctor Ledder has put up with and helped me through a lot in my life. (I still cant believe he kept me as a patient through my neurotic years that I was married) That clinic that he and Dr. Canfield have built is truly second to none. They actually care about their patients! They do not just write a prescription for this or that. Long ago when I was going through my divorce any other clinic would just give out anti depressents or whatever and send you on your way. Not my Doctor! He makes sure to talk it through and let me decide and 9 times out of 10 I would walk out knowing I was strong enough without any pills. That is the kind of Medical treatment we need and must have in America! You cant continue to accept a prescription and be sent on you way. You must find a Doctor who knows that too, as I have found from FAFP. No one should settle for less than the best. I am so blessed to have found my Doctor years ago and feel very sad for all of you out there that believe the example of Fairview (mentioned above) is how it all is. There is good, honest and caring Doctors out there but unfortunately for all of you I have them in my clinic! They are a staff filled with faith and compassion and are always there to smile and joke! And to top it all off they have added Nicole who now removes my "beard" and waxes my brow every three weeks! Where else do you get that these days?? One stop shop, my kind of place! So in closing thank you Doctor Ledder for just being you and then surrounding yourself with an amazing staff that takes care of my children, grandchildren, son in law and soon after Pooky gets married his wife too! (as even he wont give you up) Thank you France avenue family physicians for being such a wonderful clinic. But also shame on you for making me believe you were the "norm" because you clearly are not!!

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I could not agree with you more! Dr. Ledder is such and exceptional doctor. So much so I made Brian switch when we got married and well I bring all 3 of my boys to him.

It is such a great feeling knowing I can go in and I won't feel rushed out or like I am inconveniencing him.
Unfortunately for me he will most likely retire before I die...such a horrible thought!!!!

Tammy said...

I had forgotten about the fact that he never seems rushed or make us feel as though we are inconveniencing him. You are sooo right!!

Anonymous said...

I know your the comments in your blog are fairly old, but my vote for exceptional medical practices goes to Dr. David Nelson of FAFP. It has taken a long time, but in him I finally found a physician who actually listens to me and takes the time to explain some of those seemingly esoteric physiological processes to me as well.

Tammy said...

Yes, Dr. Nelson was an excellent addition to the clinic! So glad u posted your experience too!

Neelam said...

I came across your blog post while looking for reviews on France Ave Family Physicians. I am looking for a primary doctor for my mother who doesn't have health insurance so we would be paying cash price. How would you rate the cost rating of this clinic ?

Tammy said...

Over the years, there have been times when I also had no insurance and I found the rates very competitive. They are well worth any charges as they actually care about the patient. I do think though being a new patient you would be required to pay the day of service? (Totally fair in my book) They really are an excellent clinic and your Mom would be in some very quality hands!

Neelam said...

Thanks so much. Will call them and try to schedule something soon. Any particulars doctors you would recommend there ?